Discover the next generation of technological breakthroughs at EmTech Hong Kong
HONG KONG, April 18, 2017 – EmTech Hong Kong returns for its second edition on 6 and 7 June 2017 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre. Co-organized with MIT Technology Review and Koelnmesse Pte Ltd, EmTech Hong Kong showcases emerging technologies with the greatest potential to change our lives and an access point to the most innovative people and companies in the world. This year’s theme is The Future of Technology, Today, and key topics include New Materials, Innovation, Cloud, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Automation, Virtual Reality, Augmented Life, Healthy Ageing, FinTech, Cybersecurity and Future Cities.
Professor Alexander Wai, Vice President (Research & Development) of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) and Host Innovation Partner of EmTech Hong Kong, remarked on the progress of science research in Hong Kong, “Over the past eight decades PolyU is proud to have laid down many significant research milestones. Our professors have developed a reputation for taking research from the laboratory into the real world, where it has practical use with meaningful benefits. We believe a contributing factor to PolyU's success has been our efforts to encourage and enable cross-disciplinary research, which brings experts together. We are glad to be the Host Innovation Partner for EmTech Hong Kong to further foster interactions and partnership with various stakeholders to meet the needs of society.”
EmTech Hong Kong 2017 is expected to draw over 500 participants from more than 20 countries. Some of the world’s most influential leaders and innovators that are driving the next generation of technological breakthroughs will speak at EmTech Hong Kong. Over 30 speakers are participating, including:
Cloud, Big Data and Artificial Intelligence
* Gary Marcus, Founding CEO, Geometric Intelligence & Former Head of Uber AI Labs
* Wang Gang, Chief Scientist, Alibaba AI Labs
* Yingrui Li, Cofounder and Chief Scientist, iCarbonX
* Qiang Yang, New Bright Professor of Engineering Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
* Noriko Arai, Professor, Information and Society Research Division, National Institute of Informatics
* Jiawei Gu, Cofounder, Ling Technology
* Kinuko Masaki, CEO and Cofounder, SmartEar
New Materials at the Heart of Innovation
* Vivian W.W. Yam, Philip Wong Wilson Wong Professor in Chemistry and Energy, The University of Hong Kong
* Donald Sadoway, John F. Elliott Professor of Materials Chemistry, MIT
* Kok Wai Cheah, Founder of Cathay Photonics Limited (Associate Head and Chair Professor in Physics, Hong Kong Baptist University)
Future Cities: Rethinking Urban Environments
* Carlo Ratti, Director, Senseable City Lab, MIT
Cybersecurity and FinTech
* Morgan Marquis-Boire, Director of Security, First Look Media/The Intercept, Senior Researcher and Technical Advisor, Citizen Lab, University of Toronto
* Jeff Garzik, Cofounder, Bloq and Core Developer, Bitcoin
Brave New (Bioengineered) World
* Jongmoon Kim, CEO, ToolGen
* Angela Wu, Assistant Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) and Founding Member, Agenovir Corporation
Virtual Reality, Augmented Life
* Alvin Graylin, China President of Vive, HTC
* Jason Chiu, CEO, cherrypicks
* Kevin Geiger, Executive Director, International Animation & Virtual Reality Research Centre, Beijing Film Academy
Entrepreneurs and Visionaries
* Johnson Y.N. Lau, CEO and Chairman, Athenex
* Steve Leonard, Founding CEO, SGInnovate
* Jason Chiu, CEO, cherrypicks
* Mike North, Host, Prototype This!, Discovery Channel
* Nii Quaynor, Chair, Network Computer Systems & Ghana Dot Com
EmTech Hong Kong aims to facilitate innovators and enterprisers by giving them a voice as well as a platform for engagement. Participants can expect opportunities to learn how their businesses can incorporate and benefit from the emerging technologies showcased at the conference, while networking with over 500 like-minded individuals. Hong Kong is widely recognised as a flourishing international business centre and a gateway to Mainland China, especially the Pearl River Delta region. Over the last few years, Hong Kong has become a technology incubator for innovative enterprises.
Dr Michael Sung, Chair of the EmTech Hong Kong Advisory Committee and Managing Director, CarbonBlue Innovations and Adjunct Associate Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is optimistic about the future of emerging technology, “We are at an exciting juncture where Chinese-lead innovation is becoming more influential globally. EmTech Hong Kong gives you a front-row seat at the nexus of all the action so that you can see how disruptive technologies of the future will shape our lives."
Key sponsors and partners for this year’s conference include Host Innovation Partner, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University; Premier Innovation Partner, The University of Hong Kong; Holistic Innovation Partner, Hong Kong Baptist University; Strategic Partners, The Chinese University of Hong Kong and City University of Hong Kong; Supporting Partners: MIT Club of Hong Kong, The Association of Cloud and Mobile Computing Professionals, AngelVest, The Harvard Club of Hong Kong, Penn Club of Hong Kong, WHub, Yale Club of Hong Kong and Media Partners: Asia Research News, Artificial Intelligence HK, Biotech in Asia, Inspiration Unlimited eMagazine, MIT Technology Review China, Shenzhenware and The Tech Portal.
PINPOINT PR Pte Ltd
M: +65 9746 8519
About EmTech Hong Kong
EmTech Hong Kong is where technology, business, and culture converge. It is the showcase for emerging technologies with the greatest potential to change our lives. It is an access point to the most innovative people and companies in the world. Most of all, it is a place of inspiration — an opportunity to glimpse the future and begin to understand the technologies that matter and how they will change the face of business and drive the new global economy. For more information, please visit www.emtechhk.com. Find us on: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn with the official event hashtag, #EmTechHK
Koelnmesse Pte Ltd is one of the world's largest trade fair companies. Its more than 70 trade fairs and exhibitions have the broadest international scope in the industry, as 60 percent of the exhibitors and 40 percent of the visitors come from outside Germany. The Koelnmesse events include the leading global trade fairs for 25 sectors, such as Imm cologne, Anuga, IDS, INTERMOT, Interzum Cologne, Photokina, Gamescom and the International Hardware Fair Cologne. Koelnmesse is MIT Technology Review’s local partner for EmTech Asia, EmTech Hong Kong and Innovators Under 35 Asia.
About MIT Technology Review
MIT Technology Review (www.technologyreview.com), which is wholly owned by MIT, creates award-winning technology-related editorial content on a variety of platforms for an audience of millions of business leaders, innovators, and thought leaders, in six languages and in 147 countries. At www.technologyreview.com readers access daily news and analysis, and the award-winning MIT Technology Review magazine has set the standard for technology publications since 1899. In addition to producing engaging live events, the company manages the global entrepreneurial organization MIT Enterprise Forum.
T: +1 617-475-8018